Member E-Newsletter—October 2012
2012 Sigma Xi Virtual Annual Assembly of Delegates
This year’s virtual meeting will be held on November 3, 2012 starting at 12:00 pm Eastern Time.
Registration for the 2012 Annual Assembly of Delegates is NOW OPEN!
Register Online Today!
- $95 for Designated Voting Delegate
- Login is for one connection only, but you may have multiple viewers per connection. So if you are interested in having multiple chapter members present while you, the Voting Delegate, are partaking in the meeting, go ahead!
- Designated Voting Delegate registration is for active members who have been identified with headquarters as the designated chapter delegate.
- All registration fees are non-refundable; only Designated Voting Delegate registration fees are transferrable.
- $25 for Individual Participant (Non-Voting)
- One viewer per connection
- Individual Participant registration is for any member who wishes to attend the meeting and participate in a non-voting capacity, or whose chapter may be inactive.
- Individual Participants are urged to check with their local chapter officer prior to registering to learn of any group viewings in their area.
- All registration fees are non-refundable.
Questions? Concerns? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Election of Society Leaders
This year's election marks the second time in our Society’s history that all members will be able to vote for Society leaders.
At your convenience, please explore the candidate position statements here. Remember, all members—both Associate and Full—can and should vote for Society leaders including Officers, Regional Directors, and Associate Directors.
Voting will open on Monday, November 5th and close at 5pm Eastern Time on December 4th.
More details will be distributed in coming weeks via e-mail—meanwhile, please contact us at email@example.com with questions at any time.
We look forward to the results of the elections and welcoming a new slate of leaders to your Society soon!
Nominate your Students and Collaborators
Do you currently have exceptional students who are deserving of recognition for their academic achievements?
Are you currently working with colleagues or collaborators around the world who you believe would be an asset to Sigma Xi's future?
If you answered yes to either of these questions, please consider nominating these exemplary researchers today, so that they can be assimilated into a chapter or the general membership at large and begin making a difference immediately. Sharing the honor of Sigma Xi is an excellent way to recognize the achievements of others, while building camaraderie and outwardly supporting the future success of science and engineering.
It's up to you to continue to bestow the honor of membership into Sigma Xi to others you consider worthy—so let us know today and don't forget—if you nominate 5 members in one year, all of whom meet membership requirements, we will cover your dues payment for the following year!
For more details, see our "Member Get a Member" section on the website.
Enterprise Member Benefit Update
We are happy to announce that National Car Rental® and Enterprise Rent-A-Car® have been selected as a preferred car rental vendor for Sigma Xi Members and Employees!
Sigma Xi Members and Employees are entitled to a complimentary membership in The Emerald Club®, National’s Frequent Renter Program. Click here to quickly enroll in The Emerald Club®.
The Emerald Club® is recognized at both Enterprise Rent-A-Car and National Car Rental.
In order to make your reservation process as quick and easy as possible, and also to begin enjoying your discounts today, please review the following steps:
In order to receive Sigma Xi’s corporate rate, use the contract ID XZ53091.
- To make your reservation with Enterprise, use the steps below
- Visit www.enterprise.com.
- Input the corporate code into the optional field on the mail page in section 3.
- The next screen will prompt you to enter the contract ID.
- If you wish to include your Emerald Club® number, click on The Emerald Club® box in the upper right hand corner to include in reservation.
- Complete your reservation by selecting the car class preferred.
- To make your reservation with National Car rental, use the steps below:
- Visit www.nationalcar.com.
- Click on the reserve tab in the upper right hand corner.
- Input the contract ID (XZ53091) into the contract ID field in the "Optional Rate Information" section.
- If you have an Emerald Club® membership, include this number, as well as your last name, in the "Emerald Club® member" section.
- Complete your reservation by selecting the "mid-size" car class.
We hope you enjoy this new benefit to your membership!
Associate Member Promotion
Are you currently an Associate member interested in moving up to a Full membership in Sigma Xi?
An Associate Member who meets the requirements for Full Membership can be promoted. Please see the Qualifications for Membership for more information.
Full Members enjoy participating in Sigma Xi in ways that are unavailable to Associate Members.
- Ability to nominate others to the Society
- Eligibility to vote at Sigma Xi's annual Assembly of Delegates
- Voting rights on Sigma Xi committees
- Qualified to join the Board of Directors
Promotion is conferred by your chapter or by the Committee on Qualifications and Membership.
For more information, visit our website here: You may also contact your Chapter officer or our Headquarters by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to your upcoming promotion!
Meet Your Fellow Companions Series
The honor of membership into Sigma Xi spans disciplines and courses of research study. Each month in Sigma Xi Today and also in a special area of our website, we will be highlighting a different "Fellow Companion" and asking them about their work and what the honor of Sigma Xi has meant for their career.
To view this month's interview with one of Sigma Xi’s youngest members, Samantha Marquez, please visit http://www.sigmaxi.org/about/
If you are interested in sharing your story with us, please contact Hallie Sessoms at email@example.com today.
Present Your Student Research this Coming Spring!
Researchers in the new millennium must be prepared to communicate their work to a diverse audience and through varied media. Coming in 2013— Sigma Xi will offer two opportunities for outstanding high school, undergraduate and graduate students to share their research with professional scientists and engineers.
Student Research Showcase (March 2013) —Virtual hosting of student presentations to be evaluated by leading career scientists
Student Research Conference (November 2013)—Students present research posters and attend lectures, workshops and networking events at a traditional face to face meeting held in the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
More information can be found online at: http://www.sigmaxi.org/meetings/src/src.shtml
Sigma Xi Partners with ACS for Southeast Regional Meeting
You are invited to attend the Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society on November 14-17, 2012 in Raleigh, North Carolina. The meeting will feature an excellent technical program, student and professional poster sessions, and two-day exhibits. Sigma Xi will sponsor special student awards for the best examples of team science in the poster competition. The 2012 Sigma Xi Walston Chubb Innovation Award winner, Dr. Joseph DeSimone, will be one of the invited speakers. More information and registration details can be found online at http://www.sermacs2012.org/.
Advertise your Regional Meeting in American Scientist today!
Do you have a Regional Meeting coming up in your area? There's simply no better way to get your message out to scientists in your area than by connecting with them through Sigma Xi's flagship publication!
Consider taking out an advertisement in the next issue of American Scientist magazine today. Take a look online for rates and more information by visiting http://www.americanscientist.org/advertise/.
Social Media Shoutout
Have you connected with us on social media? We are currently active on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest and we would love for you to join the conversation with us online.
LinkedIn The Sigma Xi Society Group
Sigma Xi’s Free, Daily SmartBrief Newsletter
Sigma Xi has joined forces with SmartBrief to produce a free, daily e-mail newsletter, Sigma Xi SmartBrief, which will bring the most important and timely news stories about scientific research developments directly to subscribers' inboxes.
Are you signed up for Sigma Xi's free, daily SmartBrief? If not please visit our website here https://www.smartbrief.com/sigmaxi/index.jsp to sign up!
Be Sure to Update Your Information!
The busy summer season of travel has passed and now you are likely settled in one spot—for the time being! If your information has changed recently, please update your personal or your chapter members' contact information with us at your earliest convenience. You can do so online by visiting https://www.sigmaxi.org/member/update/addressform.html.
E-mail addresses are of course the most important for timely correspondence, but it's also vital that we have updated physical addresses in our databases as well, so that members can receive any and all print communications as they are released.
Please let us know any updates you may have on chapter members by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.