Becoming a Member
Since its founding in 1886, induction into Sigma Xi has been a milestone in hundreds of thousands of distinguished research science and engineering careers.
About Sigma Xi Membership
- Membership in Sigma Xi is by invitation (nomination).
- Sigma Xi membership requires nomination by two Sigma Xi members.
- Sigma Xi membership is not linked to the possession of any specific education degree.
- Sigma Xi membership is not contingent upon belonging to some other organization.
- Students and non-students follow the same review process for Sigma Xi membership.
- Neither Sigma Xi, nor any chapter of Sigma Xi, shall discriminate against candidates for election to membership on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Sigma Xi Membership Categories
How Do I Become a Sigma Xi Member?
- Through the Committee on Qualifications on Membership (CQM). If you wish to self-nominate for membership or have one Sigma Xi nominator, you can request that the Sigma Xi Committee on Qualifications on Membership review your application for membership.
- Through a local Sigma Xi Chapter. If a Sigma Xi chapter is located in your local area, you can request that Chapter’s officers review your Sigma Xi nomination.
NOTE: Please only submit your nomination once - either through CQM or local chapter. If you submit your nomination in both places, you will impede the processing of your membership.
New Member Dues Rates
Click here to view the Sigma Xi new member dues rates.
Please note that new Initiates who are inducted in January through June 2016 will be charged fees for FY2017 (July 1, 2016–June 30, 2017). The first year of membership will be active until June 30, 2017.
Sigma Xi Affiliate Circle
Sigma Xi chapters and individuals are encouraged to nominate students who don't qualify for associate membership to the Sigma Xi Affiliate Circle as a first step in their professional careers. The Affiliate Circle is also open to anyone who supports research and Sigma Xi's mission. Learn more about the Affiliate Circle.