Beginning in 1983, distinguished individuals not otherwise eligible for membership in Sigma Xi, who have served science, or the Society, in a manner or to a degree that merits such recognition, have been elected honorary life members by the Board of Directors. Not more than two honorary members may be elected in any one year.
The deadline for submission of nomination materials is October 1, 2016.
Nominations for Honorary Membership should include:
- A current curriculum vita of no more than ten pages.
- A letter of nomination that addresses the following:
- A brief (~25 word) introductory statement of the nominee's accomplishments that led to the nomination
- How the nominee has demonstrated a commitment to science, science education, and/or the research community.
- Why is it important to offer the nominee an honorary membership.
- What would be the value to the nominee of receiving an honorary membership.
- One or two additional letters of support of no more than one page each.
Nominations should be submitted to the Committee on Awards at the Society's administrative offices by October 1 annually. Submissions may be made by postal mail or by e-mail. The committee meets each November to select the recipient(s) one year in advance of their initiation into the Society.
1993 Deborah Blum, The Sacramento Bee
1991 George E. Brown, Jr., U.S. House of Representatives
1989 David Perlman, The San Francisco Chronicle
1988 Dennis Flanagan, editor, Scientific American
1987 Michelle Press, editor, American Scientist
1987 Cristine Russell, president,Council for the Advancement of Science Writing
1986 William D. Carey, American Association for the Advancement of Science
1986 Stewart L. Udall, U.S. House of Representatives and Secretary of the Interior
1985 Donald Fuqua, U.S. House of Representatives
1985 Floyd M. Riddick, Parliamentarian Emeritus, U.S. Senate
1984 Victor J. Danilov, Museum of Science and Industry
1984 Theodore M. Hesburgh
1983 John I. Ely, Wiggin and Dana Law Offices
1983 Walter S. Sullivan, The New York Times
Send e-mail for more information on these awards and prizes.