May 18, 2016
When the National Academy of Sciences announced on May 3 the list of 84 new members and 21 foreign associates, Sigma Xi members were on their list. In 2016, 23 Sigma Xi members were elected as members or foreign associates to the National Academy of Sciences.
Newly elected members who are Sigma Xi members and their affiliations at the time of election are:
- Ashtekar, Abhay V.; Eberly Professor of Physics and director, Institute for Gravitation and the Cosmos, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park
- Bailey-Serres, Julia; director, Center for Plant Cell Biology, and professor of genetics, department of botany and plant sciences, University of California, Riverside
- Blau, Helen M.; Donald E. and Delia B. Baxter Foundation Professor, Baxter Laboratory for Stem Cell Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Bull, James J.; Johann Friedrich Miescher Regents Professor, department of integrative biology, The University of Texas, Austin
- Cashman, Katharine V.; professor of volcanology, University of Bristol, Clifton, United Kingdom
- Forrest, Stephen R.; Peter A. Franken Distinguished University Professor of Engineering and Paul G. Goebel Professor of Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Germain, Ronald N.; chief, Laboratory of Systems Biology; and distinguished investigator, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md.
- Glaeser, Robert M.; emeritus professor, University of California-Berkeley, and senior scientist, Donner Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, Calif.
- Guerinot, Mary Lou; professor, department of biological sciences, Dartmouth College, Hanover, N.H.
- Hu, Wayne; Horace B. Horton Professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics and member, Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics, The University of Chicago, Chicago
- Larsen, Clark S.; distinguished professor of social and behavioral sciences and chair, department of anthropology, The Ohio State University, Columbus
- Meng, Xiang-Jin; professor of molecular virology, College of Veterinary Medicine; professor of internal medicine, Carilion School of Medicine; and professor, department of biomedical sciences and pathobiology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg
- Palumbi, Stephen R.; Jane and Marshall Steele Chair of Biology and director, Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford University, Pacific Grove, Calif.
- Raymo, Maureen E.; Lamont Research Professor and director, Lamont-Doherty Core Repository, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, Palisades, N.Y.
- Sabatini, David M.; investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute; and professor of biology and member, Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
- Schapire, Robert E.; principal researcher, Microsoft Research, New York City
- Slovic, Paul; professor, department of psychology, University of Oregon, Eugene
- Soltis, Pamela; distinguished professor and curator, Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida, Gainesville
- Stone, Anne C.; professor and director, Center for Bioarchaeological Research, School of Human Evolution and Social Change, Arizona State University, Tempe
- Stover, Patrick J.; professor and director, division of nutritional sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- Summers, Michael F.; investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute; and distinguished university professor, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore
- Wasserman, Larry A.; professor, department of statistics, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh
Newly elected foreign associates who are Sigma Xi members, their affiliations at the time of election, and their country of citizenship are:
- Reid, Nancy M.; Canada Research Chair and University Professor, department of statistics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada (Canada)